Why We Do It
We are invested in making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients and their families around the globe.
We do this by advancing innovative solutions for clinical practice that are sustainable, cost-effective and accessible.
We believe these things because we have seen the power of their impact
Our Impact: Helping Companies
Making Medical Innovation Happen
CEOs from current and alumni Fogarty Innovation companies describe the unique benefits of incubating their companies at Fogarty Innovation – including tailored, practical educational programming; “full contact” mentoring from highly experienced and committed staff; leadership training; and the lifelong support of a dedicated community of health technology innovators and entrepreneurs.
Our Impact: Training Entrepreneurs
“I’m only beginning to realize the impact that it’s had on me personally – as I grew as an engineer, as I grew as an entrepreneur, and as I grew as a leader.”
—Cam Hutton, Founder, Healyx Labs
Our Impact: Advancing Diversity
Training Global Health Entrepreneurs
Healyx Labs was founded out of Stanford’s Design for Extreme Affordability class with the goal of advancing wound care in low resource, low income settings. The company’s first product was designed to provide the gold standard treatment, negative wound pressure therapy, using a simple, low-cost technology that met the resources and environment where it would be utilized.
Learn more about Healyx Labs and how Fogary Innovation supported Cam’s evolution from student to medtech innovator and leader.
“You have a young population coming up now with different levels of expectation… They’re looking at who’s making what I’m buying. So this is a brave new world and we need to be prepared to operate in it.”
—Ingrid Ellerbe, Executive Director, DxD
Improving Diversity in Healthtech
Diversity by Doing HealthTech (DxD) was founded and is supported by Fogarty Innovation and Stanford Biodesign to improve diversity in the medtech innovation ecosystem. DxD programs address diversity across the talent pipeline, from creating opportunities for underrepresented students to learn about and get hands-on experience in medtech, to building a community of contacts and mentors for young medtech professionals, to helping company leaders operationalize diversity and inclusion. DxD’s affiliate program helps companies take meaningful action to improve diversity internally and within the industry.
“Students are going to gravitate towards what they know. So if we don’t show them new opportunities, we are limiting their choices – we are limiting their agency for their future.”
—Jaclyn Babcock, Former Director, Career Pathways Programs
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Peninsula
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Peninsula
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Peninsula serves the communities of Redwood City, Menlo Park, and East Palo Alto. The organization works to empower students with access to social, academic, and career opportunities to thrive. Fogarty Innovation partners with BGCP to introduce students to medical technology innovation as a career path and provide them with opportunities to observe clinical medicine and gain hands-on experience in health technology innovation and development.
Our Impact – 2022 Highlights
- Our companies-in-development raised $108.7 million, including grants (2021 and 2022).
- Welcomed three new startups to our CAP program and graduated three – Xtract, UltraSight, and Flosonics
- Mentored 10 principal entrepreneurs (six physicians and four technical experts) in our IAP program
- Resumed bi-monthly, in-person educational workshops for our entreprenurs and the innovation community following the lifing of COVID restrictions
- Hosted our ninth class of Lefteroff summer interns
- Developed and presented three FDA webinars
- Debuted the first annual TCT MedTech Innovation Forum in partnership with the Cardiovascular Research Foundation (CRF), with more than 1800 healthcare professionals and industry leaders in attendance
- Supported DxD, our diversity partner, in a Summer Series that was attended by 44 college interns from underrepresented groups. DxD also expanded its speed mentoring program and launched a DEIB seminar series to help healthtech companies operationalize diversity.
- Expanded our partnership with Singapore Biodesign with the launch of the BOLT initiative, an immersive experience for Singapore startups/project teams targeting the US health and medtech market
Many ventures at Fogarty Innovation start with a defining “lightbulb moment,” and PQ Bypass, among the initial companies to emerge from Fogarty Innovation, shares a parallel journey. Following its acquisition by Endologix, a key player in vascular disease treatment,...
New Book “Without a Doubt: How to Go from Underrated to Unbeatable” Shares Fogarty Graduate Surbhi Sarna’s Inspiring Journey
At Fogarty, we often hear of our graduates publishing in influential journals. Today we are proud to announce that Surbhi Sarna, founder and former CEO of nVision, a Fogarty graduate, is releasing a book this spring. “Without a Doubt: How to Go from Underrated to...
Medtech success stories are always inspiring and there is nothing better than hearing one from a Fogarty alumni company. Joe Eibl, CEO of Flosonics, visited FI earlier this month to give a Lunch & Learn educational talk describing his company’s journey from...
“We wouldn’t be alive today without Fogarty Innovation.”
– Company-In-Residence CEO